Gatecacher

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gatecacher

Post  acejavelin on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:13 am

Has anyone tried the current version of GateCacher (3.1.5.0) yet after the updates to GC.com?

This is my normal fallback tool when GCzII gets "broken" as they seem to update (fix) it within a few hours of a GC change, but no new update has come out yet. I haven't had a chance to check the current version as the one I have installed is rather old (3.1.1.0) and it still partially works.

If you are unfamiliar with Gatecacher, it is a nice little app that is similar to GCzII but in my opinion is not as refined or polished, but it is very functional. Takes a little getting used to after using GCzII. It does some things right, like true field notes and embedding Google Maps in the app (select compass, radar, or Google Maps) and not just sending info to the app, has some basic coordinate calculation for those pesky puzzle caches, but it misses some things too.

If you are interested in trying this software, here is the website: http://www.gateway.dds.nl/gatecacher/
acejavelin

Back to top Go down

Re: Gatecacher

Post  Andronicus on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:53 am

I tried it last night, and it does not work.

I e-mailed the developer last night. He is usuly super prompt, but being from europe, he my have been in bed already. We will have to wait and see...

Andronicus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  acejavelin on Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Gatecacher v3.1.9.0 was just released (within last few hours) and has fix for latest GC changes...

At least there is something now we can use to get by until Tom can fix GCzII.
acejavelin

Back to top Go down

New Gatecacher v3.3.3.0

Post  acejavelin on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:29 am

Wow! Gatecacher has a new "fix" version out for the recent changes already, hopefully that means the changes where not as major as previously thought and Tom can get GCzII fixed soon.

For anyone interested, the software is available here: http://www.gateway.dds.nl/gatecacher
acejavelin

Back to top Go down

Post  tmax on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:34 am

Have had this App for awhile but never actually used it.
Prompt updates and a User Manual.

Given the regular GSP updates and delayed patches for GCz think I'll give it a go.

tmax

Back to top Go down

Post  acejavelin on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:57 am

I always maintain the current version on my PDA, it seems to be updated much quicker than GCzII and it handles images better (an issue with recent versions of GCzII).

I have actually been using it off and on (about 70% GCzII and 30% Gatecacher) and have never had any real problems with it, it is definitely different than GCzII, not as feature rich, but has a very simple user interface. The other thing I like about it is that it uploads logs for caches to the Field Notes section of your Geocaching.Com profile page instead of directly to the cache, so you can go back later and review/edit it as needed (my spelling and grammer are not always the best with a stylus in the field), then post them to the cache.

The few issues I have had have always received a quick response and fix from the author directly via email in english (not translated). Not a big deal, but still nice. Plus it is very well documented, a nice feature especially when you moderate a forum for a software that is excellent, but not very well documented and you keep answering the same questions over, and over, and over, and over... Sad
acejavelin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andronicus on Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:50 pm

I used gatecacher V3.3.3.0 today. Worked fine, but couldn't post a field note. Kept giving me an error.

Andronicus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  acejavelin on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:01 pm

Hmm... Used it today for 3 caches, all of them posted fine to geocaching.com, I went to my profile and selected Field Notes, the hit the "Compose" button next to each one and posted them fine. Never have gotten a error message well posting field notes.

Are you sure you are running the current version (3.3.3.0) released a few days ago?
acejavelin

Back to top Go down

Post  tmax on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:20 am

FYI
I'm in the process of setting a couple of caches and realised you can download you own un-Published caches.

No reason why it shouldn't work, but nice to know it does. Very Happy

tmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum